Undetectable = Untransmittable
Get to know U=U more with
these 6 universally proven facts
1. U = U will no longer transmit the virus to others
U=U refers to people with HIV who achieve and maintain an undetectable viral load by taking antiretroviral therapy (ART) as prescribed and therefore cannot sexually transmit the virus to others despite unprotected sex.
2. U=U is acknowledged and supported by empirical evidence
U=U is neither an unconcluded study nor a theory. U=U is rather a fact proven by numerous researches.
3. U=U will not transmit the virus through unprotected sex BUT that does not mean we should give up condoms
U=U does not mean we should give up the use of condoms. It rather suggests that U=U will not transmit the virus to others even during condomless sex. However, U=U and their partners can be infected with other sexually transmitted diseases (STIs) such as Syphilis, Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, Hepatitis from unprotected sex.
4.U=U will not lead to recurrent HIV infections
In the past, recurrent HIV infection was reported among those who tested positive and did not take the antiretroviral therapy (ART). At present, there is no report of such incidence and also of drug-resistant infection from others among U=U people.
5. U=U will build confidence in PLHIV and their partners
U=U can be confident that HIV transmission is not possible if they can manage the adherence of antiretroviral therapy (ART) uptake. U=U will also work for U=U partners as it is one of the best ways to prevent HIV and at the same time allows natural pregnancy. PLHIV have rights to choose what is best for themselves.
6. U=U will reduce stigma and discrimination towards PLHIV
Knowing that U=U will not transmit the virus to others even during unprotected sex, hugging, eating, using the same restroom and living together will PLHIV are also NOT the cause of HIV infection. Hence, in order to achieve U=U, we encourage everyone to take HIV screening and get treated as soon as possible. HIV is not a threat anymore!
- International AIDS Society. IAS statement on U=U: putting the science into action. Available at: https://www.iasociety.org/Thelatest/News/ArticleID/244/IAS-statement-on-U-U-Putting-thescience-into-action.
- Joint Statement Ministry of Public Health of Thailand, World Health Organization and Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS. People living with HIV with an undetectable viral load cannot transmit HIV sexually. Available at: https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/searo/hiv-hepatitis/joint-moph-unaids-who-uu.pdf?sfvrsn=8378cd0_2.
- Asia Pacific Coalition on Male Sexual Health. Thailand: U=U is game-changing fact that must be shared. Available at: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11904-020-00516-z
- Grulich A, Bavinton B, Rodger A, Cohen M. Thai media discussion of “Undetectable = untransmissible (U=U)” a re-statement of the scientific facts. Available at: https://kirby.unsw.edu.au/news/thai-media-discussion-undetectable-untransmissible-uu-people-hiv-re-statement-scientific-facts